Almost every person over the age of 45 knows joint pain accompanied by discomfort, a violation of the normal functioning of the limbs. The main reasons for the development of such a disease are excessive physical exertion, injuries, an unbalanced diet and so on. A frequently occurring disease is arthrosis of the shoulder joint (rarely coxarthrosis). Treatment of the disease in the initial stages can be done at home, read about it below.
causes of osteoarthritis
Degenerative changes in the cartilage and surrounding tissues that cause discomfort when moving, pain is arthrosis of the shoulder joint. The disease can develop due to various factors, which can be subjective or objective. The main reasons for the development of the disease are:
- Joint injuries that provoked inflammatory processes that negatively affect the condition of cartilage and bones. Often the disease develops after a dislocation (especially if the joint was not inserted in time and improper tissue fusion began), a broken arm, a severe bruise.
- Hypothermia of the joint, which negatively affects the condition of the cartilage and the work of the joint.
- Excessive stress on the shoulder joint. Athletes and people who do physical labor are at risk of the disease.
- The presence of diseases that provoke the development of arthrosis, for example, polyarthritis, obesity.
- Congenital pathologies can become a prerequisite for the development of the disease.
- Unbalanced diet, the use of harmful foods (salt, fat, fast food), which negatively affect the condition of the cartilage and provoke the disease.
degrees and symptoms
Osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint is considered a chronic disease, but it can progress very quickly. It is worth starting treatment at the initial stage. If it is possible to do the therapy yourself at home, then there is a high probability of getting rid of the negative consequences and effects of the disease. To determine the presence of the disease and confirm the diagnosis will help a visit to the doctor, to which you should go if you have such symptoms:
- Weakness in the upper limbs, which is observed not only after intense physical activity or exertion, but also in the morning after rest.
- Shoulder pain that increases with exertion and decreases with rest.
- Painful sensations reduce the motor activity of the joint, resulting in stiffness and an inability to lift or rotate the limb high.
- Sometimes there is swelling in the joint area.
- The pain can be transmitted to the neck or upper limbs, reducing vital activity and causing general malaise.
In medicine, there are three degrees of development of arthrosis of the shoulder joint, each of which has certain characteristic symptoms and features:
- 1 degree. At this stage, there is a slight pain, which increases when raising the arm or increasing the load. Treatment at the first stage is the simplest and can be carried out by patients themselves at home.
- 2 degrees. The mobility of the joints is impaired, any manipulation causes severe pain, which does not go away even at rest. Often there are cases when it is impossible to independently raise a hand with a joint affected by arthrosis.
- 3 degrees. The stage is called deforming arthrosis of the shoulder joint. This is a difficult stage, when cartilage deformation is observed, inert growths appear, and exacerbations often occur. Changes in the joint affect the normal function of the hand and in 98% of cases surgery is used as a treatment.
Recommendations for home treatment
This disease brings a lot of inconveniences, disrupts normal life, disrupts the usual rhythm. This negatively affects the general well-being and emotional state of the patient, so treatment is required. In the first and second stages of the disease, it is possible to conduct therapy at home, observing all the doctor's recommendations and prescriptions.
A complex of methods is used for healing, which makes it possible to achieve the most effective result. Many can be used at home. Complex therapy includes:
- Compliance with a diet, transition to a proper, balanced diet.
- Performing simple physical exercises.
- Surgical intervention.
- With folk methods.
- Physiotherapeutic procedures.
- Other methods: treatment with leeches, acupuncture.
Diet control and compliance
Diet and proper nutrition play a major role in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint. First of all, it is worth eliminating from the diet foods that negatively affect the condition of the cartilage and the elasticity of the joints. Basic principles of nutrition:
- Harmful foods that negatively affect joint health include: dairy products, pork or veal, potatoes, corn, some vegetables - peppers, eggplant, tomatoes. It is worth reducing the amount of such ingredients consumed or completely eliminating them from the diet.
- To improve the condition of the joint, their elasticity will help with the consumption of flaxseed and olive oil.
- It is recommended to eat foods rich in antioxidants, for example, fruits and vegetables (cabbage, cucumbers, bananas, olives).
- Alcohol consumption is contraindicated.
- Cooking is cooking, baking, steaming. It is recommended to exclude fried, marinated dishes.
- Diet should be as balanced as possible so that the body receives the maximum amount of useful vitamins and minerals.
- Experts recommend using candy and sparkling water.
Physical activity and massage
The treatment of the disease is favorably influenced by the implementation of certain physical exercises that can be done on your own at home. Gymnastics improves blood flow to the tissues surrounding the joint, which contributes to additional nutrition of cells; helps to strengthen muscles, develop articulation. A set of exercises:
- Starting position: the patient stands up straight and hands are crossed in the lock behind the back.
- Raise your arms and try to keep them straight without bending your elbows.
- Repeat manipulations up to ten times.
- Starting position: stand straight, arms freely lowered.
- Alternately make circular movements with your shoulders, first forwards, then backwards.
- Repeat 14-20 times.
- Stand up straight, lower your hands down.
- In your left hand you need to carry a load not exceeding half a kilogram (a weight, a bottle of sand or water).
- Make back and forth circular motions with your hand and repeat 15 times.
- Perform similar manipulations with the other hand.
In addition to exercises, a massage of the affected shoulder will help. The procedure has its own nuances that must be followed in order to get the maximum result:
- The procedure should be entrusted to a professional who can do everything at the highest level.
- It is worth starting the massage with rubbing and stroking to relieve pain and prepare the body for the procedure.
- Movements should be as accurate as possible so that they do not cause pain, but relieve pain.
In the initial stages of the development of the disease, drug treatment is used, which has different effects on the disease, depending on the group of drugs. It's important to remember that taking drugs doesn't solve all problems. This technique should be used in combination with other methods of struggle, for example, physical activity. When taking medication, injections or using ointments, you should follow the doctor's recommendations and stick to the dosage. The following groups of drugs are used:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Medications help reduce swelling, eliminate tissue inflammation in diseased joints, and reduce pain.
- Chondroprotectors - drugs that improve blood circulation and help restore cartilage.
- Analgesics, anesthetics can be taken as tablets or topical ointments can be used to relieve pain
- Muscle relaxants are medications that help relieve muscle spasms and relieve pain.
- Vitamins, dietary supplements that enrich the body with useful substances to improve health.
Folk methods of treatment are often used, which help to eliminate the symptoms and manifestations of the disease, alleviate the condition and eliminate pain. Medical professionals recommend combining traditional and traditional medicine, but it is important to coordinate everything with the attending physician. Ointments, homemade compresses, baths, compresses and liniments are particularly popular.
In folk medicine, ointments containing natural ingredients that help overcome the disease are often used. To make a popular and effective drug you will need:
- Take 10 grams of hops, sweet clover, St. John's wort. Finely chop the herbs and rub together.
- For a better connection of all ingredients, add petroleum jelly and mix everything thoroughly.
- Rub the ointment on the shoulder, this will help relieve pain and eliminate inflammation.
decoctions and tinctures
Broth: In an enameled container, combine half a celery root, parsley (3 roots), three glasses of water and a pinch of black pepper. Boil all the chopped ingredients under the lid for 10 minutes. Drink the resulting decoction throughout the day 14 days before meals. A decoction of corn stigmas is also useful, to prepare it, boil 2 tablespoons of the ingredient for 10 minutes and drink a tablespoon 5 times a day.
Effective infusion: Boil sea buckthorn bark (3 tbsp), dandelion root (2 tsp), parsley seeds (2 tsp) and mint (3 tsp) in 0. 5 liters of water. Leave overnight in a dark place. Drink 2 tablespoons of the tincture on an empty stomach before breakfast. Another recipe for a simple but effective tincture: squeeze radish juice (about 30 ml), honey (20 grams) and a small pinch of salt. Take before bedtime, preferably after water treatments.
compresses and rubbing
A popular recipe for traditional medicine is a compress with oatmeal. For the procedure, you need to brew 30 grams of oatmeal in two glasses of water. Apply the prepared mass to the shoulder for 30 minutes. Angelica is used for rubbing (pour 15 grams of grass with boiling water, insist). Rub the resulting tincture onto the sore shoulder. The second effective grating recipe: Brew rosemary blossoms and hellebore 10 grams each, mix with fat and rub in three times a day.
Baths are actively used to improve blood flow to damaged tissues and provide them with additional nutrients. To achieve maximum results, medicinal herbs and fees are added to the water. Such plants that have a beneficial effect on the patient are popular: chamomile (relieves inflammation), mint (has a calming effect), juniper, burdock (relieves pain, relieves the condition).
Rules for preparing baths for the procedure:
- Brew the herb, make a concentrate to pour into the bathroom.
- In the bathroom, lie down so that the sore spot is submerged in water.
- Rub the sore shoulder with a towel, and then smear it with cream or ointment.
Other folk methods
Other methods of conventional medicine are also used to treat arthrosis of the shoulder joint, which also have a noticeable effect:
- For pain relief and relief, you need to mix a few grams of propolis with 50 gr. Fat. Massage into the shoulder after physical exertion.
- Wrapping the shoulder in a canvas soaked in hay dust solution will help reduce swelling.
- Experts in traditional medicine recommend drinking the juice of half a lemon before dinner to improve metabolic processes in tissues.
- It helps to roll out a hard-boiled egg that needs to be rolled over a sore shoulder.
The main preventive methods of the disease include:
- Balanced nutrition, with a complex of essential minerals, vitamins.
- Regularly a set of physical exercises.
- Do not overload the shoulders and arms, so as not to affect the joints.
- Eliminate the causes that provoke the development of the disease.